Collezione Reggia di Caserta
The Royal Palace of Caserta, with its immense park and aqueducts, was the royal residence of the Bourbon dynasty of the Two Sicilies. It is the largest royal palace in the world and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
The room, which was previously used as the Throne Room during the Murat era, is located at the center of the palace’s façade and gets its name from the fresco on the ceiling depicting “The Marriage of Alexander the Great and Roxana” by Mariano Rossi.
Facts & Trivia
The low-relief sculptures on the doors depict episodes from the life of Alexander, while the marble fireplace features a medallion with the profile of Alexander the Great. It is the most highly decorated room, with two large paintings: Abdication of Charles in favor of his son Ferdinand” and Charles’ Victory at the Battle of Velletri. The chairs come from a royal palace in Paris, while the armchairs were used by Joachim Murat and his consort Carolina Bonaparte. It is the third antechamber of the royal apartment, designed by Luigi Vanvitelli (1770-1773) for the king, and dedicated to the Macedonian leader to celebrate the peace and prosperity of the Kingdom.